Monday, February 3, 2014

A year of : Waste Not Want Not

Have you ever wondered what that really means? To waste not, want not? I have a vague idea, though I do use this phrase fairly often. Thankfully no one has asked me for a full explanation! I decided to Google it and get a more succinct idea on how to express it.

proverb

if you use a commodity or resource carefully and without extravagance you will never be in need.

 

Which basically means, if you make good use of what you have, you will not be wanting/desiring more. I had a thought, as most of us do as we entered into 2014 of what my goals could be. I thought of the usual stuff about losing weight, eating healthier, blah, blah! I then started to think about how we had just moved house and we are still getting ourselves settled and unpacking boxes and organising the house. There is still a lot more to do {internally crying}. Unfortunately, we did have quite a bit of 'stuff', despite the fact that we had a couple of council pick ups, and some rubbish tip trips (try saying that 5 times really fast!). Why did we have so much stuff? How was it all building up? Basically, we were wasting things. We bought things not really needing them and left them in the garage to get mucky and we had no choice but to throw it out. I also pick up a lot of bargains, thinking it will come into use at some stage - it must! But really it doesn't, well not always. I forget what I buy, and it just sits in a box in the garage because I don't have a place for it in the house. Really, its a bit shameful to admit but I waste things. I waste money. When I buy bargains, while I may not be spending a lot on the item at the time, lots of little items can build up to be a fair amount and when they are just sitting around not being used, then it's a waste. 

My year of 'waste not want not' encompasses a whole range of things. Not just items that equate to 'stuff' but I've also realised that I do waste money. Like I've already mentioned, I do like a good bargain, but its not really a bargain if I can't use the item. I am going to work on this. If I can't think of what to do with the item, if the clothes don't fit me on the spot - they are not a bargain! I don't know how many times I have seen items for $5 at Target, but don't fit me and I think I'll buy it because it might motivate me to loose weight! Don't kid yourself!! When you lose the weight, that's when you go buying clothes to reward yourself!! Same can go for items at the supermarket and even those crazy coupon sites!! Year of 'waste not want not' is about being weary of everything. Not being crazy about it, but just think about the purchase before you make it. If you still think you need it an hour later, or a day later, then you can go a head and purchase it - well that is what I am telling myself anyway. Waste not, want not, is not only good for your health, its good for you wallet/bank account, and also good for the environment  as less things end up in land fill. So how am I going about this? Well, I will share with you some things that I am going to experiment with this year.  One thing that I have already done is cut down on takeaway foods and unnecessary purchasing of food outside the home. If you have kids, this can be a real killer! Having 4 kids, it can add up when you purchase drinks, ice-creams, lollies, anything which you think at the time is a quick fix to a challenging moment, but it all adds up. If you don't want to cut this out, choose cheaper options as much as possible. I encourage my kids to bring a water bottle wherever we go, something I didn't used to do. Healthy to drink and when they start whining for a drink you can remind them, they already have one!! 

Keep an eye out for my 12 month saving plan which I adapted from the 52 week challenge as we get paid monthly. I have been experimenting with homemade laundry powder, more freezer meal ideas, and feeding my overly hungry family of 6 on a reasonable monthly budget.  Would love to hear from you in the comments if you have any similar experiences and wish to share your ideas.  If I use more of what I have, or spend less on what we need. I really should be wanting less by the end of 2014 - well I really hope so!! Goo Luck to me!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...