Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Last Minute Valentine Crafts and Ideas - Free printable included







Normally I would have done this post last week so you all had some time to get things planned for tomorrow! Unfortunately life for me is crazy and I have 3 birthdays to deal with this month, including mine, on the 15th. Thanks for the birthday wishes, that is so kind of you:)!  I have been thinking about Valentines and my Pinterest Board will attest to this. I had grand plans of a Valentines wreath, but I really haven't had the time to get it off the idea board and into reality. I have however, made this little masterpiece that I have made in time for Valentines, but is really for all year round. This project was quite simple to do, cost me less than $12 and I think looks awesome - if I do say so myself.



I purchased the wooden letters from Spotlight for 99c each, although I know you can get them at a lot of stores, even Bunnings sells wooden letters.

  • The canvas I got from Hot Dollar and only cost me $2.50 - yeehaa!

  • I used puffy paint to colour the letters - scored this for 90c at Spotlight as they were on special.

  • The paint is chocolate brown and I also got this from Spotlight on special for $2.60 - it was for a good sized tube, so I have heaps left for other projects.

I highly recommend using puffy paint for something different. You get an amazing texture and effect. If you prefer a glossy look, it takes away the extra step you might have to do if you use regular paint.

I painted the canvas with two coats - makes all the difference.


BUTTON FLOWERS
Have you heard of Button Flowers? I love this concept because Button flowers are good for all occasions and you can be as creative as you want. I know buttons can be pricey if you are purchasing them directly from a store, but I recommend you purchase buttons in large variety lots when and where you can. Places like Ebay and Etsy are also good for variety lots. If you frequent garage sales too, you can come across buttons in big lots too for great prices. Otherwise, if you do purchase buttons from places like Spotlight, it can get a little pricey, but having said that, you are creating a present for someone that they can keep for ever!

You can see one of the flowers has a red with white spots heart on it. I started making these a couple of years back at Valentines  the collection has grown from there. When you have a bouquet of button flowers they look so good.

You will need

  • A selection of buttons in different shapes and colours. Shank buttons and beads are great fro the tops of the flowers.

  • Florist wire ($3 for a pack of 20 at Spotlight) or pipe cleaners can also be use. Piper cleaners are a great idea to use with kids.


  • Select your buttons and stack them in the way you want them on the stem.

Thread the wire through one hole in each of the buttons then turn back through an opposing hole and then twist at the base of the last bead.

Arrange your button flower creations in a vase or recycle a pasta jar or mason jar.


FREE PRINTABLES
This next sweet gem is a FREE printable that I scored off Pinterest. Thanks to 'It is What it Is' blog, we can all print this cute as printable and use to our non-commercial hearts content! I am going to use mine for a wall hanging. You'll have to leave me a comment and let me know what you have done for yours!

Picture is from It is What is Is.

If the above printable does not take your fancy, then you should take a look at the Mod Podge Rocks blog, where you will get heaps of cool ideas with FREE printables like these:



HANDMADE LOLLY / CANDY ROSES
This last idea is so cool, I totally wished I thought of it. Actually, the first time I ever heard of rolling out  gums drop to make a rose, was when my husband used Starburst chews to create the roses he put on my 32nd birthday cake. They looks amazing and even onlookers at the restaurant pointed at them and complimented.

If you want to know how to do it and make your gum drops or starburst chews look like roses, I suggest you take a look at Lucy's tutorial at Craft Berry Bush, so that your roses could look like ours or hers.

If you still can't find something that takes your fancy here, then check out Valentines Day ideas on Pinterest and then if you still can't find a good idea then you have some issues!!! Haha!

Happy Valentines to all and be sure to be good to your loved ones, Always but especially on the 14th!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...